- DIMMER: Full range dimming performance, scheduling, and Alexa Built-in. Declutter your home – no hub required
- ASK ALEXA: With Alexa built-in you can ask your Leviton Voice Dimmer to dim and brighten lights, listen to the news, play music, get the weather, control smart home devices, and more
- WORKS WITH MY LEVITON APP: Schedule your lights to turn on when you want them including sunrise/sunset, easily create fun lighting scenes, and control from anywhere
- WORKS WITH/ADVANCED: Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, and more; Utilize auto-shutoff in closets, hallways and bathrooms; Vacation mode / randomization creates a lived-in look
- EASY INSTALL: Requires Neutral Wire; Rated for dimmable LED loads up to 300W; Multi-location (3-way) dimming – add up to 4 remote units (DD00R or DD0SR)
- LEVITON: Making your home smarter and safer since 1906. Designed, engineered, and supported in USA with a 2-Year Limited Warranty
Leviton DWVAA-1BW Decora Smart Wi-Fi Voice Dimmer with Amazon Alexa Built-in
Date Purchased-2020 Model- DWVAA-1BW (NEW ON THE MARKET February 1st, 2020)
Link to Buy on Amazon – I will be adding more videos to the ones at the bottom of the page.
I will update this review later on as I'm still testing the Smart Switch/Dimmer, but this is my first thoughts on the device.
02/06/2020 Update- So far 0 issues, Leviton has release two firmware updates since its release. I have been talking to it all week and it does whats its told to.
I just received this NEW Smart Switch on Saturday, and I was like a kid in a toy store and wanted to play with it right away, so I did. I have been waiting over a year now for Leviton to release its Alexa Voice Smart Switch, and now I have my hands on it. I'm one Happy 35 year old but now that I've said that I feel old and WOW something must be wrong if I'm happy about a new Smart Device.
This switch has me surprised, and I was expecting it to have some issues but nothing. The switched linked to my wi-fi with no problems, paired to My Leviton App with no issues, and when you talk to it, it does what its told. I really was expecting something to be a little off with it but I was wrong. I have been running tests on it all day and it works as it should.
The Box: It’s a regular plain jane box, but they did spruce up the inner box that holds the device. It has flaps and reminds me of an Apple box as its thick and sturdy.
What's in the box: You get the smart switch, five wire-nuts, and a screwless wallplate, which I was not expecting but happy to see as I'm learning not to like the old fashion wallplates any more. Plus, a lovely instruction book to tell you about the switch.
The Switch: Very slick looking and functions well.
- Pull Tab at the top of the switch to disable power or reset the device
- Four microphones
- Mics off/on and Action button
- Speaker- It isn’t the best, but it sure sounds good, and if you play music on it, it's pretty good.
- On/bright button
- Off/dim button
- Status light
- Has pigtail leads for hooking up the switch
- Red for Load
- Black for Line
- White for Neutral
- Greed for Gound
- Orange/Red for a traveler for threeway applications
The Installation: Well, I recorded a video of hooking up the device and playing with it before I installed it, but when I went to download the video is was all messed up. I'm trying to recover the video and when I do ill post it. The install is straight forward, matched all the wires from your old switch to the new one. Put a wire nut on the traveler as I don’t need it and turned the power back on. If you don’t know much about electrical or are unsure on how to install this call an electrician. Don’t burn your home down to be safe and also for help.
The Setup: I have a video below showing the setup in My Leviton App.
Using the Smart Switch: I have a video below of me explaining and using the switch.
How well does the speaker work?: I have a video below
My Thoughts: This switch priced at $99.99 which is a lot of money for a Smart Dimmer Switch but it has built-in Alexa, so to me, that’s worth the price. I can see this Smart Switch being used in bedrooms, bathrooms and other places in the house that you want an Alexa but don’t have a place to put on. All rooms have a light switch, so you can change it out to this switch and call it done. I do like the mic on/off button that will turn red when the mic is off. I have some people in my family that think Alexa is a wiretap device.
I am looking forward to getting one or two more for rooms that I don’t have an Alexa in. I hope Leviton keeps coming out with NEW products which will help everyone with all there needs. I do have a list of things that Leviton would do an excellent job at making. Smart Devices needed or updates on the market today
I'll be updating this post as I play with the Smart Switch more but for now, it has five stars
A little information about the other Leviton Products I have in my Home.
I went all-in with Leviton smart switches a few years ago and have had no regrets and never looked back, I have been playing with other new ones that come out, but they lack support or have issues.
Currently, I have 3 DW15P-1BW Plugs, 21 DW15S-1BW Single Switch, 26 DD0SR-DLZ remote switches, 3 DW1KD-1BZ 1000w Dimmer Switches, 1 DD00R-DLZ remote switch, 1 DWVAA-1BW Smart Alexa Dimmer Switch, and 2 DW4SF Fan Speed Controllers.
If I had to guess, that's around a $2,500 to $3,200+ investment in Leviton and its Smart Home Products. I still need to get a few more to have my whole house be on smart switches.
I know you think I have some screws loose to spend that much money on light switches/plugs/dimmers, BUT they have been a lifesaver. My three-year-old loves to turn light on and never off all day. We forget to turn lights off all the time, and when you get home with the kids, you don't have hands to flip the switch. All we say is Alexa I'm home, and lights turn on. I have my outdoor lights set up with the timer feature the App has, so I don’t have to reset it ever. I leave my office light on or the garage, and I can turn them off from the app or via Alexa.
I have way too much fun with the switches via Alexa or the App. When someone is in the bathroom, I like to mess with them and turn the light on and off. I’ve had a few people come out of the bathroom and ask if the house was haunted. Then I tell them and get some not so lovely words, then we all laugh about it.
The Cold Hard Facts- Leviton is a reputable brand and can be trusted, Support is GREAT, and they care about what issues you have with the products. I had a few problems at the start and talked to them. They patched the issues in a few weeks and was GREAT. Again. I have more Facts below, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Link to the Book that came with the Smart Switch
More videos coming soon, have had some requests to go into more detail on Alexa. Also more information below the videos
Product Image Gallery
Items Leviton needs to add
Don't let the few missing features scare you away. This switch is excellent and works GREAT
- Power Monitor Feature
- Update all device firmware- Added to the App
- Email about firmware updates and give release notes
- Switch linking- You can link switches to other switches, so if you turn on one, it will turn on the other. I have two lights in my kitchen area that are controlled by two different switches at two different locations. With switch linking, you turn one on or off, and it will tell the other one to turn on or off.
Products they Need to make in WiFi
- Smart outdoor outlet
- Smart outdoor plug
- Smart power strip
- Built-in Alexa Switch- February 1st 2020
- Smart outlet/receptacle- TBD Release in 2020
- Smart fan controller- On the Market Now
- Smart fan/light controller
- Smart light bulb like Cree Smart Bulb in 60, 75 and 100 watts
- Smart Nightlight to put in an outlet box
- Indoor Smart motion sensor
- Little Smart switches like Sonoff
- I'm sure you're thinking why would he want all of these things, well the My Leviton App is GREAT, and the software that runs the switches is too. It would be nice to have all the about in that app, so we know the products will work like we want them to.
Important Information- The switches require a neutral wire to work.
The protective ground is green or green with a yellow stripe. The neutral is white, the hot (live or active) single-phase wires are black, and red in the case of a second active. Video
In a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is this is a GOOD product, and Yes, it will cost a lot, but it's well worth the purchase.
Things to remember if you buy a USED Product
- Make sure they have a return policy
- Ask them if it was linked to My Leviton
- If NO, then Good
- If YES, then BAD
- Ask them to unlink it from the My Leviton Account
- If they can’t DON’T BUY IT
- If the switch is linked to an account Leviton Support CAN’T unlink it for you.
For Three plus way, application buy one DWVAA-1BW and then multi DD0SR-1Z or DD00R-DLZ based on what you are trying to do
- NOTE: Item is not a smart product, it is just compatible with our Decora Smart products
- Coordinating switch remote for multi-location switching
- For use with Decora Digital (Bluetooth) or Decora Smart (Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, or HomeKit) switches (Refer to compatibility chart below)
- Use in 3-way or up to 9 additional locations
- Alternative wiring method available for applications where a neutral wire is not present (see product instruction sheet)
- No LED locator light.Neutral wire or load side required for installation
- White face assembled on device, ivory and light almond faceplates included. Neutral wire or load side required for installation
- NOTE: Item is not a smart product, it is just compatible with our Decora Smart products
- Matching dimmer remote for use with Decora Digital or Decora smart dimmers does not function as a stand-alone switch
- Requires Decora Digital (Bluetooth) or Decora Smart (Z Wave, Wi-Fi, and HomeKit) dimmers (Refer to compatibility chart below)
- Decora style for compatibility with Decora wallplates
- Dual voltage to support 120VAC and 277VAC
- White face assembled on device, Ivory and light almond faceplates included
- IMPORTANT: Neutral wire is required for installation, else the product will have buzzing noise and can also be the cause of non-operation of the device
Other Posts On Smart Plugs or Switches
Like this article?
My thoughts and opinions: no one is paying me to promote their products. This means no company is paying me to give them good reviews. I’m not going to play that game of we’ll provide you with cash, products, referrals, and so on if you give us good reviews. If a company feels like giving me money, products, or referrals, then good for them. This will not change how I review their products. If I think the product is Good, I will promote it as a tested product that I stand behind as it should work fine for you. I have no problem saying what’s good, bad, needs fixed, or added to the product.
RobsReviews.Net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
RobsReviews.Net is a participant in The Home Depot Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on HomeDeport.com. The Home Depot and The Home Depot logo are trademarks of The Home Depot, or its affiliates.
RobsReviews.Net is a participant in Best Buy Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on BestBuy.com. Best Buy and the Best Buy logo are trademarks of Best Buy, or its affiliates.
RobsReviews.Net is a participant in Walmart Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Walmart.com. Walmart and the Walmart logo are trademarks of Walmart, or its affiliates.